Working for lululemon has its advantages (more than I could possibly list), today I dove into one of my favorite company perks; our library. I should preface this by telling you that library is stocked with the epic life stories of philanthropists, entrepreneurs, self-improvement bibles and every fashion/business reference book that has ever been a top seller, I was looking for something short, you know...the 'thin' book, you know something I could read in a couple of hours to recharge my visionary battery. What I found was a book far from brainless; I picked up called Clifton's Strengthsfinder 2.0. I opened it and saw that someone wrote that this book is used as a stepping stone to allow you to do what you are best at on a day to to basis. Sounded easy enough, no brain work here I thought. I was sooo wrong. The first few pages had me hooked, I was informed that I (and most other people) leave natural talents untapped and are more focussed on improving shortcomings and (perceived) flaws.
The research for this book is rooted in more than 40 years of studies and investigations and has already help millions discover and develop natural uncultivated talents. Written with one purpose: to start a global dialogue regarding what is right with people, and even states that "it appears that the world is ready to have this conversation"
I rushed through the very attractive and luring intro and was quickly guided to a 30-40 minutes survey that was going to lead me to my 'top 5 strengths', once my strengths were unveiled my small red friendly looking book would became the skeleton key to my life. It held the answers, it held focus and the truth about what really makes me tick (insert dramatic pause). I finished the survey and kept reading; for each strength they bestowed upon me...these 5 five magic words that made me stand out from others there are 10 ideas to action and apply them in the real world. And get this; the book builds on these applications by giving you questions to answer to help apply these talents and shows you how to leverage yourself by turning them into achievements. The icing on the cupcake are quotes from very successful people who share the same strengths that you uncover for yourself, since I'm a word fanatic these quotes made this whole experiment more relatable to my (very boisterous and opinionated) inner skeptic. I will admit I studied the survey result carefully...from my most strongest theme to the ones I hide, all five were there staring me back in the face saying now what...I couldn't help but awkwardly smile at my book and wonder what would be born once I processed this 'no brain work' read. Never underestimate the thin book. Beware.
No comments:
Post a Comment