Wednesday, December 1, 2010

The Listener. The Shoulder. My Very Best Friend. For Nan.




Often in life there are people that seem to have this gift of shifting perspective and adding pieces to my endless life-puzzle. This week I want to mention someone specifically; Yvonne Taylor, who is not only my best friend but is also my grandmother. I met Yvonne (Nanny) 27 years ago when I joined the family. I am her first grandchild (of 6) and people say that has soon as I popped out of mum I popped into her and poppa’s arms…and to be quite honest I don’t think I’ve left yet. Nan stands a staggering 5 foot and change with strawberry hair and a smile that seems to light up your heart and make anything that hurt’s go away. She does so many amazing things in so many people’s lives I feel as though I would rather write a book about her to give justice to mark she continues to leave on this earth and everyone around her. When speaking to her about our relationship this week she mentioned something I will never forget

"I have made many many mistakes in my life and never had any one to vent my frustrations, hurts or disappointments. So I just want to be there for you for the times you can't share with anyone else because you may be too close and just need a different prospective. I hope I can be that for you. Our skype date's and test messages make me feel 10 feet tall. These moments are special"

People wonder how I can call my grandmother my best friend because of the generation ocean that separates us. To be honest the thought has crossed my mind a couple times, when I decided to pursue the art of writing versus that pesky Engineering degree I spent 5 years stressing over..or when I came home 9 years ago with dreadlocks and saw the look on her face…there are too many moments to count. The only think I can say is that she never judged. She’s often said to me “I never think about dying because I plan on living a very long time through the conversations we’ve had”. It’s true. I have saved every e-mail, letter, article and text message she has ever sent. I remember every skype, phone call and face-to-face conversation and continue to reference them like a picture book in my mind.

Nanny has been there. She has been there for my biggest hurts, successes and challenges. She seems to always have the right advice (whether you want to hear it or not), she is one of very few people who can see past my stubbornness and actually get through to me. She has ability to somehow move the clouds in BC when I can’t see the light (which is impressive since she still lives in Ontario). She is a powerful businesswoman and balances that with a heart that bigger than life. She is often the only voice of reason and often show’s up in my subconscious telling me to think about what I’m doing. I wish there were words that could describe the love and respect I feel for this woman. All I know is that what she is and has been for me shows up in all the things I feel most passionate about in life.

She is by very best friend; I often say if I become half the woman she is I will live a very big and satisfying life. I love you Nanny for the person you are and the person you’ve helped me become, you are a shining star and I pray that everyone who reads this will share the love with whoever is this person for you

No comments:

Post a Comment